ON THE 12TH DAY OF CHRISTMAS GE GAVE TO ME… GINGERBREAD PIKLETS WITH HOMEMADE RHUBARB
There is so much fuss about what we have for Christmas lunch and dinner but what about breakfast?? Surely we can’t miss out on the first meal of the day! Why not spice up your Chrissy breakfast table this year and make these delicious gingerbread piklets… or surprise a loved one with breakfast in bed!
You might even want to make these for your festive celebrations as a healthy dessert option. They would be delicious served up with some cream or ice cream!!!
You will need:
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Almond milk – about 1/4 cup I didn’t measure though just added as I needed
- Coconut flakes, honey and cranberries for decoration
- Rhubarb and yogurt to serve
- Blend all of the ingredients except ingredients for decorating and serving in a blender on low to medium speed until combined. Start with a small amount of almond milk and add as you need, making sure the mixture is not too runny but not too sticky. A thick consistency is good.
- Once the mixture is blended, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan on medium heat
- Pour mixture into pan & cook each side for 1-2 mins until you see bubbles & then flip. Repeat until you have used up your mixture.
- I made small piklets for this recipe and which gave me about 9 piklets. You could pour the mixture into bigger circles if you’d prefer or even make tiny ones!
- Once cooked, serve topped with some coconut flakes, cranberries and honey plus a side of greek yogurt and home made rhubarb! You will find the recipe to my homemade rhubarb here.